Chicken Lombardy is an insanely delicious cheesy version of Chicken Marsala baked to perfection with mozzarella and scallions. Ready in about 30 minutes!
The combination of mushrooms in a creamy sauce is delicious over top any protein. Try this Creamy Chicken Marsala or Creamy Garlic Pork Marsala for more family meals.
Easy Chicken Lombardy
Hi guys! Natasha from Salt & Lavender here with my monthly guest post. Rumor has it that Chicken Lombardy was a dish served at the Olive Garden restaurant. It was so popular that it’s popped up online and there’s many different versions. This “copycat” version is very simple to make, doesn’t use a ton of ingredients, and is sure to be a family favorite!
I make this dish super easy by using an oven-proof skillet. That way, you start the recipe on the stove and finish it in the oven without any hassle.
What is Marsala?
Marsala is a fortified wine that gives this dish its signature flavor. You should be able to buy it anywhere liquor is sold. It’s an amazing addition to many dishes. If you don’t have marsala, you could try substituting sherry, but the dish won’t taste quite the same.
Chicken Lombardy Ingredients:
- Chicken breasts (I cut them in half lengthwise so they cook faster and stay tender). Feel free to use chicken thighs if you prefer! Just always make sure the chicken is cooked through to 165F with an instant read thermometer.
- Garlic powder – makes the chicken extra tasty!
- Butter – gives the sauce delicious richness
- Olive oil – helps the butter not burn when cooking the chicken
- Cremini mushrooms – feel free to sub with white mushrooms
- Marsala wine – this is the star of the dish!
- Chicken broth – adds more flavor to the sauce
- Shredded mozzarella – melty perfection
- Scallions (green onions) – the finishing touch
How to Make Chicken Lombardy:
- Prep! Preheat the oven to 400F. Cut the chicken in half lengthwise to make 4 thinner cutlets. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt & pepper and the garlic powder. Coat each piece in flour.
- Brown that chicken! Add the oil and 1 tbsp of the butter to an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes/side or until golden. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Sauté the mushrooms. Add the remaining butter to the pan. Let it melt, then add the mushrooms. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have nicely browned (about 5-6 minutes).
- Make the sauce. Add the marsala and chicken broth to the skillet and let it bubble for about a minute.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and let it cook for about a minute while spooning some of the sauce and mushrooms over top.
- Cheese time! Remove the pan from the heat. Sprinkle the mozzarella over top (I concentrate it on the chicken), and then sprinkle the scallions on.
- Finishing touches. Place the skillet in the oven and cook for 7 minutes. You can broil it at the end for a few minutes if you want the cheese to brown. Serve immediately.
What to Serve this Dish With?
Try pasta, mashed potatoes, or rice. If you want something a bit lighter, serve it with steamed veggies or a side salad like this Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette.
More amazing chicken recipes: